High Asset Divorce Lawyers in Sacramento
Helping You Protect Your Valuable Assets During Divorce
Especially, complex divorce cases often involve couples with large assets. Property division can be challenging in these types of case, presenting unique difficulties best navigated by an experienced attorney.
Our team at the Bez Law Firm, P.C. can answer your questions and support you as you seek a fair resolution that protects your interests moving forward. We can also assist LGBT couples with same-sex divorces.
Contact the Bez Law Firm, P.C. online or by calling (916) 512-8944 now to arrange a consultation with our high net worth divorce lawyers. We understand what you're going through and our goal is to protect your rights.
Dividing Businesses in Divorce
If you and/or your spouse own a closely held business or professional practice, or were in a partnership together, then business division could play a significant role in your divorce case. This can be especially confusing in situations where one spouse started a business before the marriage, but then the other spouse worked on or contributed to the business over the course of the marriage. We understand the sensitive and complicated nature of these types of issues and can help.
How Are Marital Assets Divided in California?
Remember, California is a community property state. This means that property acquired over the course of the marriage is subject to equal division in a California divorce. In California, this results in a division of equal assets in total, as opposed to equal division of each individual asset. This means that one spouse could, in theory, be awarded the family home, retirement assets, deferred compensation or other assets while the other spouse received the family business. The key thing is that the total valuation of the divided assets be equal.
Business Valuation Services
One challenging aspect of business division is valuing a business and each party's interest in that business. Our Sacramento high asset divorce attorney is sophisticated and experienced, and can utilize advanced methods to effectively evaluate businesses, estimating the economic worth a business as accurately as possible using a number of tools along with the contributions of financial experts.
Our firm is familiar with issues that occasionally occur in these cases such as:
- Cases of fraud on the part of the other spouse, requiring forensic accounting assistance
- Issues involving the concept of "double dipping," where a spouse is supposed to be awarded twice in asset distribution and then calculating alimony based on available income
- Standards of value including fair market value and fair value
Tips for High Net Worth Divorces
- Organize and gather all of your financial statements, assets, properties, and other accounts that you own.
- Be honest about your assets and properties. Never try to hide or lie about assets because that can damage your credibility with the court.
- Compromise when possible. When you decide to fight over every single item, this can cause delays in your divorce, increased hostility, and added legal expenses.
- Hire an attorney. Your spouse will likely have one, so it is important that you are represented by someone who can advocate for your rights and interests.
Call Bez Law Firm, P.C. Today!
Our firm offers the sophisticated tools and services necessary to handle challenging cases and to achieve results for our clients. We are here to help and support you with elite advocacy and advice tailored to your situation and your goals. Not all divorce lawyers are equipped to handle high asset divorce cases.
Call a Sacramento high asset divorce attorney at the Bez Law Firm, P.C. by dialing (916) 512-8944 for a consultation. Our lawyers serve, Roseville, Rocklin, and all of Placer County.