Roseville Same-Sex Divorce
Dedicated Representation for LGBTQ Divorce Cases in California
Divorce is a difficult process, but leaving your spouse can also mean leaving your old life behind to make a better one. Still, this time can be heart-wrenching to navigate. The LGBT family law attorneys at our firm want to help make this process as simple and swift as possible.
Bez Law Firm, P.C. has experience in LGBTQ divorces in California. Let us help you navigate issues that same-sex couples commonly face, as well as disputes unique to your family.
Call (916) 512-8944 to get additional information about our services. Or contact a California same-sex divorce lawyer online for a consultation.
Due to the pivotal Supreme Court decision Obergefell v. Hodges handed down in 2015 (which declared that states could not prevent same-sex couples from getting married) lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBTQ) couples in the state of California have the right to get married. In addition, they can also get divorced.
How Are LGBTQ+ Divorces Different?
The fact is, there is very little that is different from an LGBTQ divorce and a divorce between heterosexual couples. You need an experienced lawyer on your side no matter what.
The terms of your divorce could affect the rest of your life. Whether you are in a marriage or domestic partnership, the importance of having a good gay and lesbian divorce lawyer on your side to walk you through the issues and questions ahead cannot be overstated.
Same-sex couples still face the same aspects of marriage dissolution as opposite-sex couples, including the following, as applicable:
- Child custody/parenting time - Arranging for the care of your children is usually the most difficult area to navigate at the end of any marriage. This includes decisions about both legal custody and physical custody. Whether you are the biological or non-biological parent, our LGBT family law team works hard to advocate for your parental rights.
- Child support - Support is calculated based on numerous factors including the income of each parent, the custody arrangements, and more.
- Property division - Marital property obtained over the course of the marriage is considered to be "community property" in California and is subject to fair and equitable division. Our firm is equipped to handle challenging cases involving complex property division in high asset divorces, including division of businesses, partnerships, professional corporations, and real estate.
- Alimony / spousal support - One spouse may be required to pay support payments for a certain period of time or until the other spouse can become self-supporting.
Whether you have multiple registrations in different states or have had a long-term domestic partnership prior to marriage, we can provide skilled representation, no matter how complex your situation.
Contested vs. Uncontested Same-Sex Divorce
Same-sex divorce can either be contested or uncontested:
- Contested divorce is when the two parties are unable to come to an agreement on the various issues associated with their marriage dissolution such as the ones we listed above. As a result, they need to go to court in order to work out any disagreements.
- Uncontested divorce is when the two parties can come to an agreement on the terms of their divorce. From there, they just need to write up a divorce agreement and submit it to a judge for final approval—which is very likely be granted.
In either case, it is important to have a gay and lesbian divorce attorney on your side. Even in cases of uncontested divorce, an attorney can give you peace of mind by having your best interests in mind, managing all of the details, and ensuring that your rights are upheld.
Consult With Our Same-Sex Divorce Attorneys in Roseville
Our legal team at the Bez Law Firm, P.C. can answer your questions as well as provide you with support and assistance so you can move forward. Family law comes naturally to our lawyers; they are intuitive, understanding, and able to make the process easy.
We understand the unique aspects of your case and how to protect you moving forward. Whether you have questions about your specific case or you would like to learn more about the process ahead of you in a California same-sex divorce, we encourage you to contact our office today.
Caseload That Is 100% Divorce & Family Law
Dedicated to Positive, Amicable Resolutions
We’ll Be at Your Side Every Step of the Way
No Case Is Too Complex for Us to Handle
No-Pressure, Family-Focused Environment
This month's organization: Rise Against Hunger