Under California state law, judges have a lot of discretion when deciding when, how much and to whom to award spousal support. A court will take many factors into account, but the decision to award spousal support (as well as the total amount to grant) is entirely up to the judge.
When considering spousal support petitions, a California judge will consider the following:
- The standard of living experienced during the course of the marriage
- The length of the marriage
- The comparative financial resources of either spouse
- The needs and obligations of each party
- The age and health of each individual
- The physical and emotional needs of either spouse
- The tax consequences for each party
Another larger consideration is whether the spouse seeking support is the primary custodian of a child (or children) who requires around-the-clock attention.
Contact Bez Law Firm, P.C. Today!
Attorney Dena Bez understands that issues pertaining to family law and divorce are often vague and time-consuming. Having dedicated her professional career to assisting Sacramento families get back on their feet, Dena is more than willing to help you and those you love most move forward. The attorneys at Bez Law Firm P.C. take great pride in offering experienced, compassionate legal counsel to residents throughout the Greater Sacramento Area.
If you are currently interested in establishing or modifying a spousal support arrangement, call (916) 512-8944 today.