Same-Sex Divorce Lawyers in Sacramento
Dedicated Representation for California's LGBT Couples
Due to the pivotal Supreme Court decision Obergefell v. Hodges handed down in 2015 (which declared that states could not prevent same-sex couples from getting married) lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) couples in the state of California have the right to get married, and this means they can also get divorced. Our team at the Bez Law Firm, P.C. has experience in same-sex marriage dissolutions and can help you navigate issues the same-sex couples face, as well as disputes unique to your family.
For additional information about the services that we offer, or to arrange a consultation with a Sacramento same-sex divorce lawyer at the Bez Law Firm, P.C., call our office today at (916) 512-8944.
Are Same Sex Divorces Different from Opposite Sex Divorces?
The fact is, there is very little that is different from an LGBT divorce and a divorce between opposite-sex couples. You need an experienced lawyer on your side no matter what. The terms of your divorce could affect the rest of your life. Whether you are in a marriage or domestic partnership, the importance of having a good divorce lawyer in Sacramento on your side to walk you through the issues and questions ahead cannot be overstated.
- Same-sex couples still face the same aspects of marriage dissolution as opposite-sex couples, including the following, as applicable:
- Child custody/parenting time - Arranging for the care of your children is an important part of the divorce process. This includes decisions about both legal custody and physical custody. Whether you are the biological or non-biological parent, our team works hard to advocate for your parental rights.
- Child support - Child support is calculated based on numerous factors including the income of each parent, the custody arrangements, and more.
- Property division - Marital property obtained over the course of the marriage is considered to be "community property" in California and is subject to fair and equitable division. Our firm is equipped to handle challenging cases involving complex property division in high asset divorces.
- Alimony / spousal support - One spouse may be required to pay support payments for a certain period of time or until the other spouse can become self-supporting.
Whether you have multiple registrations in different states or have had a long-term domestic partnership prior to marriage, we can provide skilled representation, no matter how complex your situation.
Arrange a Consultation with Our Sacramento Same-Sex Divorce Attorneys
Our legal team at the Bez Law Firm, P.C. can answer your questions, providing you with support and assistance so you can move forward. Family law comes naturally to our lawyers; they are intuitive, understanding, and able to make the process easy. We understand the unique aspects of your case and how to protect you moving forward. Whether you have questions about your specific case or you would like to learn more about the process ahead of you in a same-sex divorce, we encourage you to contact our office today.
Call the Bez Law Firm, P.C. at (916) 512-8944 to arrange a consultation with our trusted divorce firm.