Modifying Child Custody Arrangements in the State of California

Child custody modifications are usually made following a dramatic change in one parent’s income or circumstance. A California court will take into account the applicant’s financial stability and the best interest of the child when considering changes in child custody arrangements. Typically, a dramatic shift in the applicant’s life must have had occurred in order for a judge to modify an existing child custody agreement.

Common Reasons for Modifying a Child Custody Arrangement

In California, there are many reasons for which a parent may request a child custody modification.

For example:

  • If one parent is no longer able to maintain an expected level of care for a child, the other parent may gain custody of the child.
  • If one parent decides to relocate to another state, a California judge will often approve a modification as long as the move is in the best interest of the child.
  • If one parent has engaged in violent behavior or has been found to be in possession of illegal drugs, a family law judge may sign off on a modification.

Other Reasons for Child Custody Modification

A California judge will typically consider a child custody modification if the current visitation schedule has not been followed and/or if there has been a lack of communication between parents. Additionally, if the custodial parent passes away, a court will need to determine if the non-custodial parent should assume full responsibility for the child, or if a third party, such as a grandparent or other family member, will assume custody. A California judge will take into account the distance of the non-custodial parent from the custodial home, as well as the non-custodial parent’s financial condition and the wishes of the child.

Call Bez Law Firm, P.C. Today

Dena Bez is the founder and Chief Executive Officer of Bez Law Firm P.C. Dena’s practice is dedicated to helping families navigate through the court process during adoption, juvenile dependency, domestic violence and other divorce and family law oriented legal issues. If you are currently considering modifying an existing child custody arrangement, call Dena today.